Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Success #1: I created a blog! Hello out there, wonderful teachers!


Well, here we go!  I'm excited to have finally gotten myself a blog, and a domain name, and maybe soon a real design up there at the top.  First things first, though. :)

I've been reading amazing teachers' blogs for several years, but I've never felt like I had the time to write my own.  (I still don't, but let's see how this goes.) ;)  The first one I found was Denise from Sunny Days in Second Grade, whose byline at the time was something like "a veteran teacher determined to stay passionate about our profession."  I loved it!  I want to be one of those passionate veteran teachers (you know who they are), not one of those waiting-for-retirement veteran teachers (you know who THEY are too, right?!).  So I followed Denise and soaked up her wisdom.

A little bit later, I found Amy Lemons, who writes Step Into 2nd Grade with Mrs. Lemons. Another amazing second grade teacher!  And whoa, the amazing centers and stations she has created for use with her class - I bought a bunch and my kids and I loved them.  Amy also inspired me to get a little more creative with Powerpoint and the things I make for my classroom.  

Then I discovered Kristin, the Teeny Tiny Teacher, who is now one of my favorite bloggers (her blog is the "dessert" when I'm reading at night!).  I can't talk about having 30 first graders (shudder) or reality TV shows, but I CAN talk about the things I'm doing in my classroom and at home and maybe, just maybe, someone else will be interested in reading my words the same way I devour hers.  Maybe. ;)

So here we go.

I teach second grade in one of the largest school districts in the US.  I love teaching and I've always known that's what I wanted to do when I grew up.  (My mom says I got off the bus after the first day of kindergarten and said, "I know what I want to be when I grow up!"  It has never changed.)

I can never stop teaching.  If I stop teaching, I have no excuse for buying the ridiculous quantities of school supplies, pretty markers, colorful bins, bright folders, and new children's books that I acquire each year.  So yeah, I'm pretty much in this for life. ;)

I also love to make things.  When I was little, it was a crafty thing; now, it's a crafty thing and also a computer thing.  Creating activities and worksheets for my classroom is a very happy way to spend time!  I love posting things I've made on Teachers Pay Teachers and knowing that other teachers are able to use them, too.  I'm spending this summer remaking a bunch of things that I made years ago, so if you follow my store, you'll see a lot of updates in the weeks to come. 

I love to read.  I don't allow myself to read during the school year because "just a little bit more" becomes "Oh, no, it's 2 a.m. and I have to get up in a few hours!" and I'm one of those people who NEEDS my sleep.  Or I get sick.  My body is pretty unforgiving that way.

I have a wonderful husband and two awesome children: a son who's off to college in a month, and a daughter starting middle school.  That makes them sound old and worldly, but really, they're just babies . . . sniff . . . see?


Every family has to have a matching shirt photo, right?!

And that's all for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment